- The ladies of Brentwood met at the residence of Mrs. Tom Walker and organized a sewing circle, which took the name of Magnolia. The following officers were elected: Mrs. Tom Walker, President; Mrs. Eliza Vernon, Vice President; Mrs. Laura Voorhies, Secretary; Mrs. Henry Perkins, Assistant Secretary; Mrs Lucretia Bills, Treasurer. Much sewing was done, and business was transacted, after which the ladies retired to the dining room and were served a four-course dinner. The following ladies were present: Mesdames Laura Voorhies, Laura Hunt, Mora Walker, Henry Perkins, Eliza Vernon, Anna Johnson, Susie Hunt, Lucy Clayborn, Lue Finnel, Cora Fields. The sewing circle adjourned to meet the following Monday at Mrs. Laura Voorhies.
- Mr. Hart Battle of Nolensville pike, visited in Brentwood last Sunday and attended morning services at Brook’s Chapel, M.E. Church.
- Rev. Alex Merrit, of the Primitive Baptist Church, preached at Brook’s Chapel M.E. Church last Sunday morning. He delivered an excellent sermon and gave good advice to the Christians.
- The congregation of Brook’s Chapel M.E. Church and community was very much disappointed by not having Dr. E.W.S. Hammond with them last Sunday. The prominent divine was confined to his home with sickness. He will in the future fill his appointment at Brook’s Chapel M.E. Church.
- The Magnolia Sewing Circle met at the residence of Mrs. Laura Voorhies Monday, Feburary 18. Many members being present. Much work was completed. After the business of the circle the ladies were invited into the spacious dining room, where they feasted on the many good things of the season, which the hostess had prepared for the occasion. The following were present; Mesdames Bills, Hunt, Vernon, Woods, Fields, Walker, Misses Sabie Perkins and Ella Johnson.
- Mrs. Patsy Perkins, Johnson and Misses Sabie Perkins and Ella Johnson attended the entertainment given by Prince Herman at Fisk University, Nashville. The ladies were very much pleased with Prince Herman’s wonderful performances.
- Mr. M.B. Vernon and wife visited his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Vernon, last Sunday.
- Mrs. James Finnell is on the sick list.
Brentwood Notes – 22 Feb 1907
Posted by Taneya on January 6, 2008