This past weekend I took a trip to Greenwood Cemetery – a black cemetery here in town. I went looking for the grave sites of the Napier family whom I’ve been researching. I knew there to be at least 12 members of the family there so I wanted to go take pictures of their graves as only three of them were previously on FindAGrave. In tow with me were both Kalonji & Kaleya. Kaleya pretty much has no choice but I’m pleasantly surprised whenever Kalonji says he wants to go – i mean really, how many people really like to go hang out in cemeteries!
It was quite an experience. By walking around looking for the Napiers, it was like a who’s who in black Nashville history. The first noticeable grave when you drive into the cemetery is that of Rev. Preston Taylor, the founder of the cemetery who had a big funeral business and was accomplished in many other things as well. I saw the headstone of others I’ve come across in my study of Nashville as well – Bishop Evans Tyree and his wife, Dr. Charles Spurgeon, Dr. Arthur Townsend, Arna Bontemps, both of the Boyds and their families. I also found others that I’ve not yet gotten very familiar with, but make good candidates for the future.
I did not take a lot of pictures, but most of the ones I did take I have added to Find A Grave – here is a link to the listing there. Adding to FindAGrave is wonderful way to contribute to the genealogy online community. I highly encourage others to do it. I am planning to go back out there in a few more weeks to take more pictures.
But, back to the reason I went there – the Napiers. I found everyone I was expecting to find. James Carroll Napier (who I call JC), his wife, Nettie and their adoptive daughter/biological niece Carye were there and already in FindAGrave. This week, I’ve added the most of the rest of their family buried in the family plot-I am realizing now I missed at least one person. The links will take to each person’s FindAGrave page.
- Elias Watkins Napier – JC’s brother. The picture I took was not that clear, so I may have to re-take it.
- Dr. James Alonzo Napier – JC’s nephew, son of his brother Elias
- William Carrol Napier – JC’s father
- Jane Elizabeth Watkins Napier – JC’s mother
- Henry Alonzo Napier – JC’s brother
- Arthur D. Langston – JC’s brother-in-law, husband of his sister Ida. He was the son of John Mercer Langston.
- Ida M. Napier Langston - JC’s sister
- John Mercer Langston – JC’s nephew, son of his sister Ida. Grandson of John Mercer Langston
- Lt. Carroll Napier Langston Jr. – JC’s great-nephew, grandson of his sister Ida. Lt. Napier I’ve blogged about before – he was killed over in Italy and I know he was initially buried over in Italy. I wonder if his actual remains are here.
- Minnie Vivian Cashin Langston -wife of JC’s nephew and mother to Lt. Langston above.
- Carroll Napier Langston Jr. - JC’s nephew, son of his sister Ida