• Contact


    Have a question? Email Me!
  • Get Social

  • Categories

  • Blog Archives

  • Header Photo Credit

    The Jubilee Singers. (1875). Image courtesy of the New York Public Library.

The Colored Elevator

The Colored Elevator
Nashville Globe – February 15, 1907
Pg. 1

A unique organization whose object is to encourage employees to put aside a small portion of their earnings each week for a rainy day and to encourage them in the saving habit, had its birth about November 1, 1906, in West Nashville, on the grounds of Vanderbile [sic] University. The organization is known as the “Colored Elevator.” Its membership constitutes mostly the employees at Vanderbilt University, especially those at Kissam Hall. These young men through their efforts perfected a very strong organization with R. W. Wingfield, president; Monroe Modley, vice president; A. N. Owens, secretary; Walter Whitaker, treasurer. They require from each member a deposit of 50 cents per week with the treasurer. A receipt for this 50 cents is given by the treasurer to the depositor as proof that this amount is held in trust to his credit. There are no restricting laws and bylaws regulating this fund, except the moral set forth in the intent of the organization. A member may withdraw his amount at will. They have managed to bring in up to the present time $70.00, which will be disbursed to the members at the close of school.

The organization also provides that certain nights in th week be set apart for debating. They discuss current topics respecting the race and its condition throughout the country. Most of the members reside in the state of Tennessee, but few of them, however are from Nashville. The following are some of the staunch workers of the organization: Messrs. Baldwin Fitzgerald, Robert Mason, Hofard Evans, John Massey, Percy Durhams, Lewis and Preston Webb. They propose to continue the organization, and have been encouraged by the addition of new members from time to time.

Makes Vanderbilt Pay

Makes Vanderbilt Pay
Nashville Globe – February 1, 1907
Pg. 3

Negro at Last Sells His Old-Cabin on the Biltmore Estate — After years of negotiation, George W. Vanderbilt today purchased from a negro named Collins a cabin and a six-acre lot, says a special to the New York Times, January 26, which have long spoiled the landscape effects around Biltmore House.

Collins purchased his lot and cabin twenty years ago for $200. When Mr. Vanderbilt decided to build Biltmore House landscape gardeners and engineers laid out an approach through Collins property. Mr. Vanderbilt offered Collins a large sum for the place. Collins’ s lawyers told him to double the price. Mr. Vanderbilt refused to pay, but later agreed to Collins’s terms. Collins’s lawyers told him to double again, and this performance was repeated several times.

The approach to Biltmore House was built around Collins’s property. Collins still held out for a big sum. Just how he finally brought to terms has not been announced.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.