This page will become a bibliography of black history & genealogy for Nashville, TN. It will be growing over time and is by no means ever going to be exhaustive.
- Halberstam, David. The Children. New York: Random House International, 1999. [Find in a Library]
General History Sources:
- Lovett, Bobby L. The African-American History of Nashville, Tennessee, 1780-1930 Elites and Dilemmas. Black community studies. Fayetteville: University of Arkansas Press, 1999. [Searchable online via Google Books | Find in a library]
- Lovett, Bobby L., and Linda T. Wynn. Profiles of African Americans in Tennessee. Nashville, Tenn: Annual Local Conference on Afro-American Culture and History, 1996. [Full-text available online | Find in a library]
- Morton-Young, Tommie. Nashville, Tennessee. Charleston, SC: Arcadia Pub, 2000. [Limited information via Google Books | Find in a library]
- Nashville Directories – 1856, 1859, 1860, 1880, 1881, 1924. (these are all free)
- Nashville Directories —1879-1889 are available with subscription at Ancestry.com.
School Specific Resources
- Fisk University. Catalogue of the students and officers of Fisk University. Nashville, TN: Marshall & Bruce Co., 1898. Full book available via Google Books.
- Fisk University. Catalogue of the students and officers of Fisk University. Nashville, TN: Marshall & Bruce Co., 1912. Full book available via Google Books.
- Cohen, Rodney T. Fisk University. College history series. Charleston, SC: Arcadia Pub, 2001. [Find in a Library]
- Collins, Leslie Morgan. One Hundred Years of Fisk University Presidents: 1875-1975; Cravath, Merrill, Gates, McKenzie, Jones, Johnson, Wright, Lawson. Nashville, Tennessee: Hemphill’s Creative Printing, Inc, 1989. [Find in a Library]
- Meharry Catalogs, Announcements, News 1881-1912 (with some gaps in years) – available online.
- Roman, C. V. Meharry Medical College A History. Nashville: National Baptist Convention, 1934. [Find in a Library]
- Ward, Andrew. Dark Midnight When I Rise: The Story of the Jubilee Singers Who Introduced the World to the Music of Black America. New York: Farrar, Straus, and Giroux, 2000. [Find in a Library]
- “When McKissack & McKissack Received Award”. Chicago Defender. 7 Nov 1942. p.6, col. 2
- “From a Mite to A Million: Story of the McKissicks“. Chicago Defender. 7 Nov 1942. p. 6, col. 2.
- Lamon C. The Black Community in Nashville and the Fisk University Student Strike of 1924-1925. The Journal of Southern History, Vol. 40, No. 2 (May, 1974), pp. 225-244. <http://www.jstor.org/stable/2206893>
State-wide Tennessee Resources
- Lamon, Lester C. Blacks in Tennessee, 1791-1970. Tennessee three star books. Knoxville: Published in cooperation with the Tennessee Historical Commission [by] the University of Tennessee Press, 1981. [Find in a Library]
- Cimprich, John. Slavery’s End in Tennessee, 1861 to 1865. New York: University of Alabama P, 1985. [Find in a Library]